About Pioneer Middle School
Pioneer opened its doors to students in the fall of 1949 as the first junior high school in Walla Walla.
In the fall of 1990 the philosophy and programs were revised and Pioneer opened its doors for the first time as a middle school. Throughout Pioneer’s history students, parents and staff have worked together to establish a tradition of excellence. Together, we have achieved excellence in academic achievement, athletic contests, student activities and community service. We look forward to the continuation of this tradition through the efforts of present and future members of the Pioneer community.
At Pioneer, we are a community of learners devoted to achieving excellence in academics, the arts, athletics, and as citizens of our school, community and nation. Students have numerous opportunities to explore new skills and ideas, to build confidence in themselves as learners and as people. We welcome new students and their families into our midst, looking forward to the unique contributions they will make.
Our mission is to prepare all students for success in high school and participation in a global society.
1. Provide a learning environment which meets the needs of individual learners, raise student achievement and educate the whole child.
2. Promote a positive and fulfilling work environment.
3. Enhance trust among our students, staff, parents, and community.
4. Ensure an efficient operating system with adequate resources.
In addition to the basic curriculum for grades 6-8, the core programs include:
- Response to Intervention (RtI) framework for instruction and support
- Positive Behavior Intervention Support (PBIS) framework
- Dual Language Program
- Special Education Programs
- Title 1 reading and math support programs
- Elective classes
- Honors Program (Gifted Education Program)
- Music Program (band, orchestra, choir)
- Student leadership development programs
- ASB and Student Council
- WEB (Where Everyone Belong)
- 21st Century Grant supported after school activities
- After school Academic Lab
- National Junior Honor Society
- Sports teams
- STEM classes
- Music (Jazz band, band, orchestra, choir)
Pioneer's Report Card
Click HERE to view Pioneer's Report Card, Diversity Report, and more demographics.